sábado, 28 de noviembre de 2015


PEPITA ROSEMARY PÂTÉ {VEGAN, GRAIN FREE, GLUTEN FREE}

A variation of a recipe from The 30 Minute Vegan cookbook! This pâté is flavorful with just the right amount of spiciness; it would also be great as a spread or vegan dip!

I had the most terrific news today: My Soldier is coming home a few weeks early from one of his trips!! I’m absolutely thrilled to have him back, I am so excited, I can’t even sleep!

There is just one problem. I bought a house for us while he was gone and he hasn’t seen it yet! Yes, he knows about the house (couldn’t have snuck that one past him) buttt I wanted everything to be absolutely perfect the first time he laid eyes on it in the hopes that he would fall in love with the house just like I did!

Instead, he’s coming home to a construction site; I’m adding a half bath – there is material and dust everywhere, we have a dining table without chairs, the two guest rooms are so stuffed with moving boxes, you can’t even get into these rooms. Paint samples all over the walls (how can anybody decide when there are hundreds of different colors and nuances to choose from?!), windows without blinds or curtains, piles of stuff I haven’t decided where to store.

Not the ideal scenario; my to-do list is several pages long. So, what do I typically do when I’m so overwhelmed that I don’t know where to begin? That’s right. I don’t do anything. I just sit and ponder in a kind of transfixed manner because – – what’s the point in trying when you know you won’t accomplish anything you set out to do?

So, I sat and pondered for about half a day but – good grief, I’m way to excited about my Soldier coming home to be in a funk about things not working out according to plan. It’s not like he cares, anyway. In a sense, this stress is self-inflicted. My soldier couldn’t care less about wall paint, curtains or dusty floors! He’s the most laid back person I know which is one of the many reasons I am crazy about this guy!

With all this hustle and bustle going on, I am subsisting on snack food rather than fully cooked meals and this Pepita Rosemary Pâté was on the menu for today. This pâté is so incredibly tasty, I had to share it with you guys. This is my version of one of Mark Reinfeld’s recipes from his book The 30 Minute Vegan. This book is full of delicious recipes; not all of them are grain and gluten free but a lot of them can easily be adjusted.

Mark calls this “pâté” but you may call it dip, hummus or spread; this dish is very versatile!

I love pepitas (=pumpkin seeds) raw, roasted, toasted or processed into milk! The health benefits are incredible.

Pumpkin seeds are a very good source of phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, and copper as well as other minerals including zinc and iron. Pumpkin seeds are also a good source of protein which makes them a preferred food for vegans and vegetarians!

In addition, pumpkin seeds can help prevent or combat conditions such as:

Diabetes: Pumpkin seeds have shown improved insulin regulation which is great news for diabetics!
Antimicrobial Benefits: Pumpkin seeds have anti-fungal and anti-viral properties.
Cancer-related Benefits: As pumpkin seeds are unique in their composition of antioxidant nutrients they can help prevent the growth of cancer cells.
source

I found these tasty flax seed crackers that are grain free (and gluten free); my local health food store carries them, they’re called Flackers. These little crackers are very crunchy and above all, filling! I had a handful last night before dinner… and then dinner never happened because I was so full.

PREP TIME
10 mins
TOTAL TIME
10 mins
Author: Rose | The Clean Dish
INGREDIENTS
1½ cups raw pumpkin seeds
2 cloves garlic
½ cup water
2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon rosemary powder
½ teaspoon hot paprika powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
DIRECTIONS
Soak pumpkin seeds in water for about 10 minutes, drain and rinse well.
Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth; you may have to add more water if the pâté is too thick.
Allow to marinate for at least 10 minutes before serving, then keep refrigerated for up to 2 days.

FONT: http://www.thecleandish.com/

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario